Thursday, November 12, 2015

Pinewood Derby Season is Coming

Hey everyone!  Happy Thursday.  Today I want to share with you a fun project I made.  Lots of talk these days with friends about scouts, seeing all their cub scout photos, remembering our scouting days.  Anyway that got me to thinking....I love playing with electricity and circuits (thus the reason I am working with Chibitronics)...what if I lit up a pinewood derby car?

Well, after years of Cub Scouts and Y-Guides, I had quite a few cars to choose from.  I chose to go with the fire engine that Brighton made oh so many years ago (maybe 10?).  Anyway, what would be more fun than adding flashing lights, just like a real fire engine.

So, here is the fire engine that Brighton made all those years ago.

I began by placing my Chibitronics Copper tape in parallel across the top and wrapped it under the body of the fire engine.
I added three lights, two red and one white.  Chibitronics chibi lights come in a variety of colors, and if you want you can even color them with Sharpie for a custom color.

Well, a car that lights up is pretty cool, right...but this is a fire engine, those lights need to blink.  lol  So I added in the twinkle effects sticker.  There are a total of four effects in the pack, I did the blinking before on a gift bag, so I decided to try the twinkle.  Now, this car has seen its days racing down the track.  If you wanted to do this for a real race, you would want to hollow out the area where the battery sits so that it doesn't come into contact with the track.


No comments: