Monday, February 2, 2015

Paper Lantern - Core'Dinations

Hey Everyone!  Hope you are having a great day...me?  well....trying to get caught up and share a few of the tutorials I have done for Core'dinations.

You may remember seeing me post a sneak of this back in December that was on the Core'dinations blog.  I really love this lantern and have since made a more spring version, but I wanted to share the tutorial here as well.  To make it more spring like....why not add some book paper?  pinks and blues?  flowers instead of snowflakes?  butterflies?  let your creativity take flight.



Winter Paper Lantern Supplies:
lantern_coredinations_nancy keslin_supplies
Step 1:  Begin by cutting snowflakes and flowers from both the Whitewash cardstock (I chose blue for the snowflakes and red for the poinsettas) and vellum.  I used a combination of electronic and manual dies to create my cuts.  I love the wintery feel the Whitewash cardstock created.
lantern_coredinations_nancy keslin_cutsStep 2:  To add additional texture and color, emboss the red Whitewash poinsettias with the snowflake embossing folder.  After embossing, use your Sand-it Gadget to reveal the pattern, and the Dust Buddy to remove any excess paper dust.
lantern_coredinations_nancy keslin_emboss
Step 3:  Layer the red poinsettias with the vellum poinsettias to soften the look and adhere with Zip Dry to the paper lantern in a curved pattern.  Spacing the flowers out to fill the space.  I made nine flowers in two sizes for my 12" lantern.  Remember that if you plan on using an incandescent light bulb in the lantern do not use hot glue, the glue will heat and your items may fall off.  Zip Dry will continue to hold even when the lantern heats up.
lantern_coredinations_nancy keslin_poinsettiasStep 4:  Add snowflakes in and around the poinsettias for additional color and texture, producing a gentle curve along the lantern.
lantern_coredinations_nancy keslin_snowAllow the glue to completely dry before hanging.  I used a battery operated candle light inside of my lantern, and it looks lovely during both day and night.
lantern_coredinations_nancy-keslin_dark

No comments: