Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Topiary Tutorial - Darice and Core'dinations

Hello everyone!  Ah, summertime!  I so adore being out of school...long lazy days and beautiful weather.  I think a trip to the beach is in order.  But before I go, how about I share with you this topiary I made for Darice with Core'dinations paper and a few basic craft supplies.
Spring-DIY-topiary-Darice

Spring DIY topiary supplies:

Step 1: The first step is the most fun – creating the flowers.  I chose three beautiful colors of Core’dinations cardstock for my paper flowers. Then, I used my Cricut electronic cutting machine and the Flower Shoppe cartridge to create a ton of flower die cuts.  I cut each of the spiral flowers to 2.5 inches.  I was able to get 16 flowers per sheet of cardstock. Cut Cricut Flowers
Step 2: Assemble the flower die cuts.  Each assembled flower should measure approximately 1 1/4 inches across.  You don’t want to roll them too tightly.
rolled flowers_darice_nancy keslin_topiary
Step 3: I sanded each flower to expose the lighter core of the paper as well as open up the flower.  You can see the difference below.
sand photos_darice_nancy keslin_topiary
Step 4: When you complete the sanding process, begin gluing the flowers to the Styrofoam ball in a random pattern.
glue flowers_darice_nancy keslin_topiary
Step 5: If you would like to make a double DIY topiary like mine, cut the dowel rod into multiple pieces. The lower rod should be 12 inches and the top rod 3 inches.  Stick one dowel rod into each of the flower balls and then the shorter lollipop into the longer. Place the Styrofoam disk into the flower pot and then the lollipop flower through that.
Spring-DIY-topiary-Darice-nancy-keslin-1
Step 6: Add some moss to the top of the pot to hide the disk.
topiary_darice_nancy-keslin
Step 7: Add a pretty satin bow to the base of the DIY topiary flower ball.
topiary_close up_darice_nancy keslin
 I hope you give this spring DIY topiary a try.

No comments: