Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mixed Media

Hi everyone!  I hope where ever you are today you are warm and dry.  I know that many parts of the country are experiencing crazy weather.  Here we are having record lows at night and are expecting tons of rain.  If only the cold rainy days allowed me more time to play....sigh

I have been finding little bits of time here and there to play and one of my new favorite things to play with is mixed media.  I have made a few "She Art" girls, which are tons of fun...but sometimes I just don't have the time to commit to a canvas.  That is why I decided to start an art journal as a fun place to play with techniques and textures.   I think I will use it as a place to make pretty things, practice my sketching and maybe even get things off my chest. (warning...this is gonna get long, hee hee).

I began with a simple watercolor notebook I picked up at Michaels with my coupon.  I covered it with some scraps of older Prima watercolor papers that I colored with my Glimmer Mists and other Prima paper scraps.  I added bits of fussy cut butterflies, tons of rub ons, and a few pieces of chipboard.  Inks and paints blended it all together.  My Claudine Helmuth multi-medium keeps it all together.
The first super fun technique I decided to try was using my Goosebumps Texture Spray from Tsukineko.  On the cover I used it as a resist.  This was so fun, and easy.
  After placing my papers I layered my mask and sprayed the texture spray.
 I continued on with different paint mediums until I got the look I liked.
I found that the Goosebumps gave my paper a fun, waxy like appearance, so I tried just spraying this little card from my grab bag papers with it directly.
 And here my card is with the resist applied.
 On the first interior page I once again used the Goosebumps as a resist.
 The technique was the same as for the cover.
 I found I need to hold the mask down securely and to spray evenly if I want a nice resist.
Lucky for me I wasn't too worried.  hee hee
Well, I am sure there will be lots more to share in the coming weeks.  For now tho...my niece wants the computer and if you have ever had a two year old in the house...I am sure you understand why I need to go.

Stay warm and safe.

Hugs.

Nancy

3 comments:

Nati Tristan said...

That's an awesome technique and adorable all your ideas!

Amber said...

So beautiful and creative Nancy! I'd love to do an art notebook, kinda don't know where to start!
Hugs
Amber

LisiB said...

Such beautiful pieces of art. i love the mixed media and how you combine it in such a skillful way