Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Monday!

Even though I had an incredibly busy weekend..and even though Ainsley is doing her best to push me over the edge..Since tonight's dinner is ready to go I am here with last weeks menu and a recipe.

Monday we tried a new item...Chile Relleno Casserole.  I loved it, Phil loved it...Brighton and Mackenzie both said they liked it, Ainsley of course was the lone dissenting voice.  Until Wednesday, when Mackenzie informed me that she didn't actually like it, that eggs are gross...but she didn't want to hurt my feelings.


Tuesday we had roasted chicken.  Everyone likes roasted chicken.  It was the mashed potatoes and broccoli they complained about.  lol


Wednesday we had pot roast.  Mackenzie has now informed me that she doesn't like meat.  I have no problem with this since I spent 3 years as a vegetarian and another 4 where I ate no mammals.  However, it would have been helpful to know this before cooking her dinner.  lol

Thursday night was scouts PLC...and that means pizza.  Of course, that also means that I don't have to cook, so it isn't all bad.  hee hee

Finally Friday, we had New Mexican Pork chili.  Yummo....or so I thought.  Mackenzie said too much meat, and Ainsley said too spicy.  I can't win this week.

Well, there ya go...a week worth of menus.  I thought they were tasty.  If the children want to be picky eaters.....Well, maybe I will have more luck this week.

For now tho, my favorite of the week was the Chile Rellenos.  So.....

Chile Relleno Casserole

10 Anaheim peppers, roasted and peeled (or you could use canned)
1 tbs olive oil
1/3 cup onion
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
6 tbs flour
4 cups Monterrey Jack cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325

In saucepan over medium high heat, saute onions in olive oil until translucent.   Add tomatoes and simmer on medium low till thickened (10-15 minutes).  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.  Line bottom of pan with 1/2 of the peppers.  Distribute 2 cups of cheese evenly over the peppers.Repeat with the rest of the peppers and cheese.

Beat egg whites until a soft peak forms.  Mix together the milk, flour, and egg yolks.  Fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.  Pour the eggs over the peppers and cheese.

Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.  Remove from oven and evenly distribute the tomato sauce over the top.  Return the dish to the oven for another 30 minutes.  Let set about 5 minutes before serving.  Serve with rice, beans and fresh tortillas.



Time to run!  Back tomorrow with some scrappy goodness.

Hugs.

Nancy

2 comments:

Heather Landry said...

I thought that all of your recipes sounded yummy! Kids don't know what's good. If M decides to go all the way vegetarian will you cook separate dinners for her?

LisiB said...

Poor girl!!! We have a simple rule in the house: You complain about dinner, you cook the next day. This has really helped a lot. Can't wait to see new layouts of you.