Monday, January 24, 2011

It's Monday and a Contest

You know what that means?  Time for some new meal ideas!  woo hoo

This week on Monday we had our swim team banquet.  Which means no cooking for me!!!  Hooray!

Tuesday we had the most tasty citrus and herb marinated chicken tacos...hmmm recipe anyone?  hee hee


Wednesday was a simple beef and mushroom stew...although, since Mackenzie doesn't really care for the broth, hers was more like beef and mushrooms over pasta.  Gotta make it work, right?

Thursday was one of everyone's faves.....Pulled pork from the crock pot.  I tried to sneak in some oven baked sweet potato fries (thought they were a little healthier for everyone) but one of the three children was not a fan.  Can you guess who?

Friday I made minestrone.  Seemed a little odd since it was almost 70 degrees...but no one complained.  lol


Recipe time....

Citrus & Herb Marinated Chicken
2/3 cup orange juice
2 - 3 jalapeƱo chilies, stemmed and seeded
7 cloves garlic
1 tbs black peppercorns
1 tbs salt
1/2 bunch cilantro
2 lb. chicken legs and thighs


In blender combine 1/3 cup of the orange juice, the jalapeƱos, garlic, peppercorns and salt.  Puree until the peppercorns are completely crushed.  Add the cilantro and remaining 1/3 cup juice.  Puree until smooth.  In a ceramic or glass oven proof dish, toss the chicken with the marinade.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 12. 


Heat the oven to 350 F.  Bake the chicken in the pan it was marinated in until the meat easily pulls away from the bone, about 40 minutes.  Set the chicken aside to cool.  Pour the juices from the pan into a bowl or cup and reserve.  Refrigerate the juices so that the fat rises to the top.  When the chicken is cool, remove the skin and shred the meat into bite sized pieces. 


When ready to serve, skim off the fat that has risen to the top of the reserved cooking juices.  Use the remaining liquid to moisten the shredded chicken as you reheat it.



How about a little contest?  As usual, I am trying to work through all the goodies in my stash to make room for some new things.  The quickest way for me to get through the stash???....share with you!    So, guess which of the three children did not like sweet potato fries.  I will take all who guess correctly...and pick a winner.  Easy?  I will also throw in some embellishment to match of course.  Just leave a comment below.

I will pick a winner on Friday.

I will be back tomorrow with some fun projects I did over the weekend!

Hugs.

Nancy

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm guessing it was Mackenzie. Those tacos look amazing by the way!

Cindy deRosier said...

I'll guess Ainsley.

Heather Landry said...

I'm guessing Brighton. I love the new recipe you shared. It sounds YUM! I also have to tell you that I probably wouldn't like the sweet potato fries either. I think fries shouldn't be sweet! LOL

Cindy deRosier said...

You can see "HIM" here? I'm changing my guess to Brighton!